Saturday 22 February 2014

Are you a Refrigerator or a Garbage can?

One of the most impactful questions MD(Keta) asked recently was "are you a refrigerator or a garbage can?" Someone who is a refrigerator stores up knowledge until it has to be used and they draw from it. Differing, a person who is a garbage can hears something and it goes in one ear and out the other. Are you a garbage can or a refrigerator? Furthermore, when it comes to mentoring are you being a mentor to someone whose a refrigerator or is your time spent trying to mentor a garbage can resulting in little or no transformation?

This week I had the opportunity to go to FED'S(Chief Theresa) home community. On the drive there I had the opportunity to see how funny she is and also to understand her views on politics. I asked a question about where did all the money go that was made when selling the presidential jet and that set the conversation in motion. She and Somebody Cares have distanced themselves from the government especially when a lot of nonsense started to go down internally within the government. She has told me several times, Herself and Somebody Cares are here to help the people not to pocket material gain for themselves.  It was evident when she started to talk like this that I would be in much agreement with her. She has literally lived out what many books i've read have talked about. She's someone I have learned a lot from so far and I hope it continues!

Arriving at her community she turned to me and asked me to click away with my camera. She chatted with the chief while myself and Lusuwilo(a Somebody Cares manager) went to check out some Maize fields. I was amazed as the fields we were seeing were twice the size of the maize that I saw in the city. Arriving back where FED was, she told me I saw other peoples maize but not hers. We then jumped in a vehicle and went to her field that was newer than the others. This Monday it should be fertilized. This should allow her maize to catch up to the other maize, in time for harvest and proceeds going to help those in the communities.
FED(Chief Theresa Malila)
I also had the opportunity to watch young Malawians be trained in Silo building for storing maize. This will cut back on the 40% loss of harvest being able to keep almost all of the maize.
 Before
After

I also had the opportunity to attend Children's Right's teaching twice. The first time I was able to talk with a mother who named her firstborn Miracle. In Malawian culture there are many negative names such as "trouble" that children are named when they are born. Unfortunately, if a child is named a negative it is very unlikely that they will avoid acting the way that their name indicates. This mom was concerned that Miracle was a bad name as she did not know the meaning of the word. I had the opportunity to share the Biblical view of the word Miracle. I also said that if she ever finds herself in a difficult circumstance that she can't get through on her own, that she can call out to God who want's his Glory to be known. She was very relieved and started chatting with her friends about the good news of what her daughters name Miracle means.

Monday I start aerobics class out here in Malawi, time to work work it out!!! This will be a fun time as several staff members will attend, all the while keeping physically active.


"...the first of his miraculous signs, Jesus performed at Cana in Galilee. He thus revealed his glory, and his disciples put their faith in him."- John 2:11



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive