Saturday 8 February 2014

Burnt to a crisp!!!

On Tuesday after our devotion and prayer time I was told that I would go with three SomeBody Cares staff for the day. Stanley, Charles, Edward and myself were heading to a community that was almost 1.5 hours away from Lilongwe. 

To get to the general location of the community we drove about 40 mins in Edward's car. We then parked and got on Kabhaza's (bike taxis).



Jumping on these bike taxis was very neat but the workers definitely didn't enjoy it as much as I did!
The remainder of the trip we got off and on the taxis depending on how rough the terrain was. 

Upon arriving at the first community we were just in time to see volunteers preparing ensima(maize flour) and beans for 150 children.

 MD(Keta, Ministry director) found out I brought my camera and is getting me to take photographs at every location we go to. Even the staff are modeling for me but I agreed not to post any of their photos. 

The photographs that I took of a man's maize field had an interesting background story. This man was given the seeds from Somebody Cares to grow maize. As a micro-finance project, the man simply has to pay back the cost of the seeds come harvest time. Observe how well the maize is growing. 

On Thursday I helped with Home Based Care (HBC) which is one of the key areas that Sombody Cares focuses on. Alongside the staff I was able to visit eight different patients. One of the patients was a man who was 39 years old but looked like he was in his eighties. He had HIV, TB, and cancer all at the same time.  This would be considered an urgent need and he would be provided with funds for medication asap. Differing from HBC that I have done in Canada, when these patients get sick they usually just stay in their house to die because they can't afford the transportation to see the doctor and the cost of medication to get better. On Thursday I was grateful for Canada's healthcare system and the system that SBC has in place to come along side these patients.




Proverbs 14:31 " Whoever oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God."

 For myself, I need to make sure not to forget to put on sunscreen. I am now at the tale end of having a sunburn with the back of my neck almost done peeling. It was funny when I was at a small group where there was other caucasians. They had a good laugh while I looked like a cherry. Lesson learned indeed.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Nathan! You seem to be enjoying your time so far and looks like your already experiencing God and what he is going to do through you. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive