Monday 17 February 2014

Continually Growing!

As I have spent a bit of time here in Malawi I have observed that the Maize, Tobacco and Ground nuts(peanut) are continually growing at a steady pace. In late April to early May it will be harvest time for these plants. It reminds me of how we should continually be growing whether its in our work, our mentoring and most importantly in our walk with God.

I have learned a valuable lesson about humility when it comes to our work. Keeping open dialogue with the ministry director and other staff members is crucial here at Somebody Cares. We should be able to communicate how our work load is and be able to ask for more time, to cut back the amount or to maybe even increase the amount. A caution would be to make sure employee's aren't asking for more time or to cut back on the amount of work due to laziness.

Another lesson I learned has been about quality versus quantity. I know that especially in North America we are about always wanting more...more...more. It is okay to want more but at the same time the question of quality comes in. If more is being added but quality of workmanship is lacking, is it really worth it? China has a lot of quantity of products that are made available in Malawi, but if you ask many Malawians about the quality they would most likely say its terrible. I think the question of quality versus quantity is a good one to think about.

I've been able to spend some time with the housekeeper's(Martha) son Moses. He wants to be a doctor in the future and he does really well in school. He has taken interest to me being on the computer. Opportunity, yes!! I've been able to help him learn some typing skills.


I've had the opportunity to listen to Keta's mentor(Mrs.B) speak a few times during the past few weeks.  One of the most impactful sermons was the one she spoke at Keta's ordination service. She talked about continually asking God to tell you what to do rather than coming into prayer with a whole shopping list in hand. It's an interesting way of praying and I have tried to implement it more and more.

We put together some Teacher's Manual's for the schools that are run by the center. This allows children to receive education and they are provided with a nutritious meal afterwards.

I had the opportunity today to pray with one of the Somebody Cares staff members. She has only been with Somebody Cares for a few months and when I asked how she was doing this morning in Chichewa, I could tell that something was up. I inquired and that's when she explained how her mom is never sick but today she was heading to the hospital. Right in one of the office rooms another staff member, this lady and myself had a prayer meeting. Our God answers prayers that are in obedience to his word. Her mom ended up getting medication and is feeling a lot better. Tomorrow I will find out how her mom has done overnight.

Today I also saw a sun halo. If you don't know what that is look it up on google and check out the picture I took below!

Psalm 19:1-6- GNT
"How Clearly the sky reveals God's glory! How plainly it shows what he has done! Each day announces it to the following day; each night repeats it to the next. No speech or words are used, no sound is heard; yet their message goes out to all the world and is heard to the ends of the earth. God made a home is the sky for the sun; it comes out in the morning like a happy bridegroom, like an athlete eager to run a race. It starts at one end of the sky and goes across to the other. Nothing can hide from its heat."
- LOL especially my skin that was burnt last week!!

What a great, majestic, creator God(Elohim= father, son, Holy Spirit) we serve!!


1 comment:

  1. God bless you Nathan. May you continue to know His peace and provision.
    Proud of you,
    Ralph

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive